Do you miss your pooch when you’re on vacation? Borrow one from the St. Croix Animal Welfare Center! You’ll get all the doggie kisses, tail wags and snuggles you can handle — and maybe even a new best friend.
Participating in the Dog Day Outing program is easy. Just stop by the Pet Place, located next to Food Town in La Grande Princess, anytime after 10am. You’ll fill out a quick form and give a copy of your drivers license.
Then, they’ll pair you with a dog that would benefit from a day out and will be a good fit for your level of dog experience. They’ll send you with everything you’ll need, like a water bowl and poop bags, and they even have “Adopt Me” bandanas and leash sleeves so anyone you encounter on your Dog Day Outing adventures knows your buddy is adoptable. Return your pup by 4:30pm so they can eat dinner and get another walk before bedtime.
Fun things to do with a dog on St. Croix
- Go to the beach. Smuggler’s Cove, Ha’penny and Cane Bay are popular dog beaches.
- Take a hike. Check out Goat Hill or Ham’s Bluff Lighthouse.
- Stroll the Boardwalk. The bustling Boardwalk is a great place to see and be seen.
- Yappy Hour Happy Hour. If you’re up for an overnight with a pooch, take them to Un Amore for yappetizers and puppy cocktails.
- Take a long drive along the winding roads of the North Shore with the windows down.